Sunday, November 8, 2009

Recipes I Live By

Those of you who know me well know that there are some things that I'm ALWAYS eating when dieting for a show. I'm not a cook and I'm not very creative when it comes to food, but I try! I mean, there is only so much you can do during contest prep to make food interesting. I want to talk about some meal ideas that are clean enough to be eaten during contest prep, and if you aren't being as strict, there are ways that you can jazz up these dishes to make them more appealing. These recipes are all one serving.
People always ask me "what do you eat??" Well, here it is....

Oatmeal and Egg White Pancakes

5 egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal
dash cinnamon
1 packet Splenda
Butter Spray ("I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" is my favorite)
2T sugar free syrup

Heat a non stick skillet. Mix the egg whites, oatmeal, cinnamon and splenda in a small mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the skillet making a small pancake. Cook 2 minutes then flip. Serve with butter spray and or syrup. Add strawberries or sliced bananas on top.
During contest prep, omit the syrup and use only a 1/2 packet of splenda or none at all. Spray lightly with butter. If you are short on time and running to work, wrap them in foil and eat while commuting!
Double the recipe and save some for the next morning or later in the day when you need a quick healthy meal!


Turkey Taco Salad

1 package extra lean ground turkey
chili seasoning
salt
pepper
1/2 onion finely chopped
green bell pepper cut in strips
romaine lettuce
low fat Mexican blend cheese
1/2 avocado
1 tomato, diced
1 T flax or olive oil

Cook the ground turkey fully in large skillet. Add chili powder, salt, pepper (or you can use a taco seasoning packet that's low sodium). Prepare salad with romaine lettuce, tomato, green pepper, 1/2 avocado. Put 1 cup of the turkey on top of the salad. Sprinkle with cheese and drizzle olive oil on top. During strict dieting, I'll take out the cheese, avocado, tomato. I'll use flax oil instead of olive oil.
Yummy!


Baked Salmon with Asparagus

4oz Wild Salmon
Dill seasoning
Lemon
8 asparagus spears
Pam cooking spray

Pre-heat oven to 400. Spray a baking pan lightly and put the fish on it. Season fish with the dill seasoning mix (I buy this at Hannafords, it's an all natural seasoning mix). Place the asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on them. Lightly salt and pepper. Cook both in the oven until the fish is done and the asparagus is slightly crunchy (I love it this way!) Garnish with lemon and sprinkle a bit of parmasean cheese on the veggies. If I'm dieting, I'll using cooking spray instead of olive oil on the asparagus, and I will not use cheese.

That's it for now! I'll be posting more recipes at a later time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment