Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Cardio

I don't know about you guys, but I can honestly say that I dread cardio. The thought of running on a treadmill, stepmill, elliptical, makes me want to cry. Despite my loathing of this, I've always done what I had to do and within 10 minutes of being on the machine, I would be in a groove and killing it with some sort of intervals or I would get confirmation of my hatred and just get off.

Now, skipping cardio on a day that I'm supposed to do it during contest prep is a sin, so that just doesn't happen. I'd mentally chain myself to the treadmill/stepmill/elliptical and go through the motions. I mean, at least it was something and I could check it off my workout "to do" list. If I skipped it, it would totally wreck my plan for the whole week! And when your schedule is so tight, you're low on carbs and high on stress, any missed workouts can really devastate you mentally!!

All I can say is thank God for the off season!!! This is the time where I cut that type of cardio out, unless I'm going for a run with friends or something like that! Instead, I'm doing sessions loaded with drills: plyos, body weight exercises, sprinting drills, etc. These session are lovingly called "Fitness Girl Workouts" by my Cathy Savage crew! So, I do a FGW 2x per week and it kicks butt! So fun and you can tell that your just burning a ton of calories! All I need is a 30' space and there I go! Minimal to no equipment is required. These type of workouts not only gave me great conditioning, but I believe they played a HUGE role in my physique transformation this last contest prep before I won my pro card.

I really started doing these workouts back in January, when I discovered Dynamics Strength and Conditioning gym in Nashua NH. I have to give props to Kevin and Michele (owners) who really know their stuff!!! I'm grateful to them for starting me on my conditioning program. I highly recommend people in the southern NH area to check them out. www.dynamicsc.com

In closing, Thanksgiving is in two weeks!!! As a little facebook project, everyday I will be posting what I am thankful/grateful for as my status. I challenge you to do the same :)

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment